- Thong Tien Nguyen, PhD
- Postdoc Researcher at Copenhagen Business School
- Senior researcher at Syntesa Associates & Partner, Copenhagen
- Assistant Professor in Applied Economics & Marketing Research, University of Southern Denmark
- Lecturer in Business Economics, Nha Trang University, Vietnam
- Teaching courses in Corporate Finance, Financial Accounting, Managerial Finance, Development Finance, Economic Appraisal of Investment Project
- EU HORIZON
- EU PROJECT
Relevant Consultant Works
- Work Bank
- Korea Marine Institute
- IDV Consultancy Company
- EMD Joint Stock Company
- PhD in Business Economics (2009-2013), University of Southern Denmark
- Master in Natural Resource Economics and Management (2005-2007), Trømso University, Norway
- Diplomat in Applied Economics for Public Policy (2002-2003), Fulbright Economic Teaching Program in Vietnam, funded by United State Government and organized by Harvard University of USA. Including advanced courses in accounting, financial analysis, and appraisal of development expenditures
- Bachelor in Economics, Nha Trang University (1992-1997)
Skills: Econometrics; Data visualization; Consumer insight; Economic complexity; Social network analysis; Economic forecasting; Price formation analysis; Consumer choice modeling; Data mining; Project appraisal and management
Menozzi, D., Nguyen, T. T., Sogari, G., Taskov, D., Lucas, S., Castro-Rial, J. L. S., & Mora, C. (2020). Consumers’ preferences and willingness to pay for fish products with health and environmental labels: Evidence from five European countries. Nutrients, 12(9), 2650. Group 1, BFI list 2020
Thong, N. T., Isaac Ankamah-Yeboah, Julia Bronnmann, Max Nielsen, Eva Roth, Birgit Schulze-Ehlers. (2020). Price transmission in the pangasius value chain from Vietnam to Germany. Aquaculture Reports, 16, 100266. A companion title to the respected Aquaculture in Group 2, BFI list 2020.
Nguyen, G. V., Jolly, C. M., & Nguyen, T. T. (2020). Testing Market Power and Welfare Effects in the US Catfish Industry. Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, 1(ahead-of-print).
Yang, Yingkui, Jingzheng Ren, Hans Stubbe Solgaard, Di Xu, and Thong Tien Nguyen. “Using multi‐criteria analysis to prioritize renewable energy home heating technologies.” Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments 29 (2019): 36-43. Group 1, BFI list 2020
Thong, NT, Solgaard, H.S, Yinkui, Y., and Thanh, Q.B (2017). The role of packaging format, alcohol level and brand in consumer’s choice of beer: A best-worst scaling multi-profile approach. Food Quality and Preference., 65: 92-100. Group 2, BFI list 2020
Thong, N.T, Nielsen, M., Roth, E., Giap, N.V., Solgaard, H.S. (2017). The estimate of world demand for pangasius catfish (Pangasiusianodon hypopthalmus). Aquaculture Economics & Management, 21(03):400-417. Group 1, BFI list 2017
Thong, N.T., Solgaard, H.S., Wolfgang, H., Roth, E., Lars., R.J. (2018). Using labeled choice experiments to analyze demand structure and market position among seafood products. Agribusiness: An International Journal. 34(2): 163-189. https://doi.org/10.1002/agr.21504. Group 1, BFI list 2017
Thong, N. T., & Solgaard, H. S. (2017). Consumer’s food motives and seafood consumption. Food Quality and Preference, 56, 181-188. Group 2, BFI list 2020
Thong, N.T. (2012). Inverse Demand System for Mussel Products in Europe. Marine Resource Economics. 27(2): 149-164. Group 2, BFI list 2017
Thong, N.T. (2012). Implicit Price of Mussel Characteristics in the Auction Market. Journal of Aquaculture International. 20 (4):605–618. Group 1, BFI list 2017
Thong, N.T., & Olsen, S.O. (2012). Attitude toward and Consumption of Fish (Seafood) In Vietnam. Journal of Food Product Marketing. 18(2):79-95. Group 1, BFI list 2017
Peer-reviewed manuscripts in progress
Hans Stubbe Solgaard, Yang, Yingkui & Thong Tien Nguyen. The influence of social desirability on consumers’ willingness to pay for fish welfare. Status: Under reviewed by Journal of Food Quality and Preference
Nguyen Tien Thong, Sara Egemose, Lukasz Koziel, Lars Ravn-Jonsen4 Niels Vestergaard. Economic feasibility of using sand and concrete as filter materials for phosphorous retention in stormwater ponds. Status: Submitted version
Thong Tien Nguyen & Menozzi Davide. Estimating purchase quantity effects and price elasticity in discrete choice experiment. Status: model estimation
Thong Tien Nguyen. Consumer’s beliefs of health and environmental effects and trust on health certificate and eco-label of food: Survey of five European countries. Status: In preparation
Thong, N.T, Nguyen, D.H,. Huong, L.T.M., & Bich, P.T. Country case study: Sustainable Consumption and Production in Vietnam. SWITCH ASIAN book publication-Volume 1.
Thong, N.T. 2011. Experimental Design for Competitive Brand Choice Model: General Framework and Application for Food Industry. Department of Environmental & Business Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
Thong, N.T. 2012. Market Demand and Consumer Preference for Seafood: Literature Review. Department of Environmental & Business Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
Conference presentations and proceedings
Thong, N.T., & Olsen, S.O. (2008). Intention to Consume Fish (Seafood) in Vietnam. International Institute of Fisheries Economics & Trade (IIFET) Conference. July 22-25, Nha Trang, Viet Nam.
Thong, N.T. (2010). Supply and Demand Analysis for Mussels in the EU market. International Institute of Fisheries Economics & Trade (IIFET) Conference. July 13-16, Montpellier, France.
Thong, N.T. (2010). Hedonic price of mussel in auction market. International Institute of Fisheries Economics & Trade (IIFET) Conference. July 13-16, Montpellier, France.
Thong, N.T. (2011). Labeled experimental choice design for estimating attribute and availability cross effects with N attributes and specific brand attribute levels. Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC). November, 27-30, Perth, Australia.
Thong, N.T., Solgaard, H.S., Wolfgang, H., Roth, E., Lars., R.J. (2012). Demand Structure & Market Segmentation for Seafood by Stated Preference Approach. International Institute of Fisheries Economics & Trade (IIFET) Conference. July 16-21, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Thong, N.T., Solgaard, H.S., Wolfgang, H., Roth, E., Lars., R.J. (2012). Valuing Seafood Attributes by Stated Choice Model. International Institute of Fisheries Economics & Trade (IIFET) Conference. July 16-21, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Thong, N.T., Solgaard, H.S., Roth, Giap NV. (2014). The world demand for pangasisus. International Institute of Fisheries Economics & Trade (IIFET) Conference. Brisbane, Australia, 7 – 11 July 2014.
Thong, NT, Solgaard, H.S, Yinkui, Y., and Thanh, Q.B. Consumer’s Preference and Choice of Beer Brands in Vietnam. Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC). December, 5-7, 2016 Christchurch, New Zealand.
Language and Personal Interests
- Language: English (influence), Danish (functional), Vietnamese (mother tongue)
- Personal interests: Playing sport (soccer, badminton, and swimming), gardening, watching movies and reading books
- Marital status: Married, live with wife and kids
Awards & Scholarship
- 1992-1997: Full Scholarship for undergraduate program in economics, Nha Trang Universitty (five years)
- 1997: Best student award, Nha Trang University
- 2003: Full Scholarship for Postgraduate Program in Applied Economics for Public Policy, Fulbright Economics Teaching Program, Vietnam (one year)
- 2004: Full Scholarship for Postgraduate Program in fisheries policy and planning, United Nation University, Iceland (six months)
- 2005-2005: Full Scholarship for master’s degrees in international fisheries economics and management in Trømso University, Norwegian Government (NORAD) (Two years)
- 2009-2013: PhD Scholarship in University of Southern Denmark (3 years).
Reviewer of Journal
- Food Quality and Preference
- Economic Inquiry
- Asia Pacific International Journal of Marketing
- Behavioral economics
Language: English, Danish, Vietnamese